Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Ehh.

I had some semi-exciting plans for dinner tonight that were thwarted because someone else used up my ingredients. I ended up making what seemed like a kind of weird combination of oven-roasted corn on the cob, oven fries, and spinach with chickpeas. It all turned out well enough, but the meal sort of felt like a washout.


Baby spinach sauteed with three cloves of garlic, some pinenuts, and about half a can of chickpeas. It ended up being more chickpeas than spinach, but still tasted good, meaning there were no leftovers.


Oven roasted potatos tossed with olive oil, salt, and Old Bay seasoning. They didn't turn out as crisp as I like, I think because the potatos I used were sort of waxy.


A vegan version of Orangette's chocolate chip cinnamon banana bread. This is probably the most delicious banana bread I have ever had; there is a cinnamon sugar topping that gets crunchy while the bread is baking that I think makes the recipe really stand out from others. Interestingly, while this bread contains no added fat, you would never be able to tell, most likely due to the moistness from the bananas. To veganize Orangette's bread, I just omit the eggs and replaced them with 1/2 cup of plain applesauce mixed with 1 teaspoon of baking powder.

No comments: